Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death among adults and seniors in the country. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do anything about your own heart healthy though. With the right lifestyle choices, you can reduce your own risk of heart disease even well into your senior years.
Here are 7 heart healthy tips for seniors that you can follow for yourself or if you have elderly parents or loved ones.
7 Helpful Heart Healthy Tips for Seniors
1. Eat the rainbow. Eat all the colors of the rainbow as much as you can. This means eating a lot of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis to get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
2. Get Omega-3. You can get this from nuts and certain fish such as anchovies and salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids are good cholesterol that help fight off the bad cholesterol that clog your arteries.
3. Limit animal products. Animal products such as butter and cheese are packed with saturated fats that increase cholesterol levels. Instead, go for leaner cuts of meat and healthier dairy alternatives.
4. Cut out sodium. Go for low-sodium alternatives or cut it out completely from your diet. Instead, make your food more flavorful using spices and herbs.
5. Be active. Get your blood moving and your heart pumping with exercises suitable for seniors.
6. Don’t stress. Stress can increase your chance for heart disease. Instead, meditate, find healthy outlets, and take up a hobby. There are many activities that can help you lower your stress levels.
7. Visit your doctor regularly. When you’re in your senior years, it’s recommended to visit your doctor regularly. You should monitor your heart health especially if you have heart issues or risk factors for heart disease.