Getting the right amount of the right nutrients is crucial in keeping our bodies healthy and in tip top shape. And this is very true when it comes to the elderly, especially when getting the right nutrients is more of a challenge during this time.
Here are the top 9 nutrients that you have to make sure your elderly parents get so they stay healthy.
- Vitamin B12 is important in maintaining and creating red blood cells as well as healthy DNA. It’s also important in health nerve functions.
- Folic Acid helps maintain a healthy circulatory system.
- Calcium is essential for your elderly parents to have health and strong bones. This helps prevent brittle bones and decrease the risk for fractures, especially at their age when moving around is more challenging and accidents such as slips and falls are dangerous.
- Vitamin D is hand in hand with calcium as this helps absorb it in the body. It also promotes bone density and prevents osteoporosis.
- Potassium helps reduce blood pressure and kidney stone risk. It also helps promote cell function and keeps bones strong.
- Magnesium helps maintain a healthy immune system, heart, and bones.
- Fiber helps in digestion and prevents constipation, which many of your elderly parents may have.
- Omega-3 helps reduce symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, as well as help slow macular degeneration. It also helps reduce Alzheimer’s risk and helps maintain sharper brains.
- Water could be one of the most underrated compound in our nutrition, but it is crucial at any age. For your elderly parents, having adequate water intake daily is important for healthy digestive system as well as to help optimize many bodily functions.